Tuesday, May 22, 2012

ACT 3

I finally reached Act 3.

Okay, as a preamble, let me say that Acts 1 and 2 were pretty much what I had been expecting to play. It's like Diablo 2 but kind of beefed up. It's still exciting, kind of easy going, and relatively stress free playing. I get this feeling when I play other games like Drakensang and Path of Exile. I get to play an hour to a couple of hours a day. It's easy to pause and go off and do something else. It's all pretty nice.

But then I hit Act 3. And I'm like...

OH MY GOD.

The game seems to have been injected with alien steroids on crack. All of a sudden I'm on the edge of my seat, clicking like mad, floods of sweat on my face. All of a sudden I can't stop playing. Just today I played like 4 hours straight

 It may not be much to most gamers, but that's a LOT for me.

The cinematic alone that began Act 3 should have been a clue to the Armageddon that waited for me then. Never have I uttered so many profanities in quick succession in playing a game. It was just insane. I mean it is insane...I haven't finished Act 3 yet. I just had to stop and pause for breath. Maybe I should just turn in and go to sleep. I'm almost scared to go back.

It's kind of undeniable the influence The Lord of the Rings had on Diablo. I haven't played Diablo 1, but it was obvious to me in Diablo 2. It's even more obvious in Diablo 3. I'm pretty sure the designers of this game saw Two Towers, especially the whole Helm's Deep sequence and thought "hmmm... this would make a pretty good video game".

And they pulled it off amazingly well.

Just one funny thing... in the middle of a battle torn fortress, with all sorts of monsters prowling around attacking and circling. There's this little room where this guy is selling weapons and armor like it's, you know, a regular day at the local market. Where does he get stuff to eat? Where does he sleep and piss? The minute he goes out that little room, he's dead.

I just found it funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...