Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Diablo is DEAD!

Yes! I finally dispatched Diablo today with my Monk (that is, of course, on Normal Difficulty).

It wasn't extraordinarily hard though, but it was pretty challenging. One tip I can give to players is to recognize your opponent's pattern of attacks and devise your own pattern of attack accordingly.

I'm not sure if I would have been able to dispatch of Diablo as easily with a Barbarian though. I'm sure other players would find the Barbarian easier but I just really liked the Monk gameplay. It's fast, lethal, and pretty awesome looking.

Now that I've finished the game, I can say that it's pretty awesome. Definitely much more exciting than Diablo 2 and yeah, even the other games I played before (Drakensang and Path of Exile). I guess it has a lot to do with the story. There is a very precise and strong narrative that drives the story along. It's not an overly complex story (in fact, it's a pretty simple one) but it's tight enough to keep one excited, especially from Act 3 onwards.

I would describe the first two acts as just coasting along with the last two suddenly going into overdrive. I would have never have finished the game so quickly if the narrative wasn't so compelling. You know, I just HAD to know what happens next. I just HAD to see where things were going.

And before I knew it... I'm face to face with the last boss.

I could quit right here, pack up the game in the box and move on to the next one but I'm still pretty much in Tristram in my head. I want to continue playing. And the best thing is, I can play it again but this time on a more difficult setting: Nightmare. And when I finish that, there are two more further difficulty settings: Hell and Inferno.

What keeps me going now, especially now that I know what the narrative is? I guess it's like watching the Titanic movie. You know the thing is going to sink, but you can't help but still watch it. The difference here is that the added difficulty makes it a slightly different game. Since monsters are harder to kill, one has to adjust his gameplay accordingly. I can no longer just coast along, blundering headfirst into mobs and just let God sort it all out.

Now, I have to think more. I have to be much more cautious and plan my attacks. I can't take any monster for granted. The littlelest creature can kill me now (and they did, actually).

Now that I'm on Nightmare, I don't have to rush it. I could just take my time.

After all, the job awaits and I can't afford to miss deadlines because of this game today (like I did so horribly in 1999). Ha, ha, ha!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    I will buy the game soon but must ask you first.
    Did you have any problem with the constant online requariments?

    Im from Sweden but live in Cebu know and i think my internet is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not thus far but I must say that I do have a reliable ISP (for the most part which would probably be the reason why I'm having so little problems.

      It kinda sucks though when the following occurs:

      1. The connection fluctuates and you get logged out in the middle of a particularly good game.

      2. Sometimes you can't log in because the servers are full.

      They don't happen very often so suffice to say I'm very happy with Diablo III despite the required constant internet connection. Gerry, the author of this post, may have some other stuff to add.

      Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Having a requirement of being online all the time didn't seem to pose a problem as much as I thought. It's a bitch when it does go down, but it gets fixed eventually.

    The only constant annoyance is there is always something that goes wrong everytime they patch the game. I'd have to rely on workarounds provided by other players through the official forums.

    I haven't posted much here because well, I've been playing the game. In the time I last posted here, I finally worked right up to Level 60, and currently starting the game on Inferno difficulty. Maaaaan, so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. americas ata.... I didn't set it.. it was default.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. It was already set and by the time I found out I was already Level 25-30 and didn't want to start over in the Southeast Asian server (and I didn't really see the need for it). :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...